About Us

PCS Information:

Necessary Documents:

  • PCS Orders
  • Passports
  • Airline Tickets
  • Military Records
  • Medical Records
  • Employment Records
  • Household Goods Inventory
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Car Titles/Shipping Papers
  • Insurance Policies
  • Stateside Driver’s License
  • Records/Appraisals (For high-value items)
  • Mortgage Papers
  • Social Security Numbers
  • Birth Certificates
  • Wills
  • Bank Books
  • Enough checks for 90 days
  • Family School Records
  • Pet Records
  • Small amount of money

Some additional items recommended include:

Credit cards, last three phone bills, statement from Security about insurance, rent receipts, DD214’s, VA forms, church records, naturalization papers, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, tax records or other important documents that are difficult to replace.

Privately Owned Vehicles

Since you can't drive to Italy from the states, it must be shipped via cargo ship from one of the many points of debarkation in the United States. Contact your local transportation office for more details on how to ship you vehicle. It will take approximately 2 months to arrive in Sicily so plan accordingly. Before you drop your vehicle off for shipment, ensure you have no more than one quarter of a tank of gas and that it is clean. You can ship some basic car accessories such as extra oil filters in the car but don't plan on shipping any household goods in it.

Operating a vehicle in Sicily is somewhat complicated. Be aware of several important facts before you bring your vehicle to Sigonella. Parts for American and Japanese models are hard to come by; it helps to send maintenance items such as oil filters, tune-up kits and air filters before leaving the U.S. Due to the heavy concentrations of dust and ash in the air, it would be wise to ship several air filters, especially if your car uses custom or oversized filters. Parts can be ordered, but may take several weeks to arrive. Unleaded gas is readily available.

The Personnel Property Office (PPO) will notify you when your vehicle has arrived. To accept delivery of the POV, you must have:

1) mandatory liability insurance; which is available from local Italian insurance companies, as well as U.S. companies such as GEICO or USAA, and

2) the Military Registration and Certificate of Title issued from the Motor Vehicle Registration Office (MVRO).


To register your vehicle, you must present the following:

1. a U.S. Forces in Italy motor vehicle operator's license
2. a current stateside driver's license valid throughout entire tour
3. shipping document
4. stateside registration
5. PCS orders
******For further questions or concerns please call  Motor Vehicle Registration Office (MVRO) +39-095-86-5275/2633. They are located on NAS 2.******

Passports and Visas


Military family members should have two passports -- one government official or "no-fee" passport for entry into Italy is required and a tourist passport if they wish to travel. Civilian component personnel and their family members are also required to have the same. Check with your local PSD for passport forms and information. You should start processing applications as soon as possible after receiving orders to avoid travel delays. Servicemembers may travel to NATO countries using their military identification cards while under orders or NATO leave papers. However, tourist passports are recommended for personal travel and are required for many non-NATO countries. Non-military personnel and their family members should carry their passports with them while traveling in Italy. To best protect yourself, make a copy and keep it separate from your original in case it gets lost or stolen.


Italian law requires all civilians who enter Italy, except European Union citizens, to obtain visas prior to their entry into Italy. This law does not require active duty service members to have visas. Civilians who are visiting Italy for less than 90 days as tourists do not need visas. Personnel who arrive in Italy without the proper documentation will be returned to their country of origin at their own expense. What type of Visa do I need? Members of the U.S. civilian component and U.S. contract workers who are pending orders to Italy must obtain visas for work purposes ("visto per motivo di lavoro") prior to traveling to Italy. Family members of the U.S. military or civilian component and dependents of U.S. contract workers must obtain visas for family purposes ("visto per motivi di famiglia") prior to traveling to Italy. Obtaining your Visa: Visas can be obtained through the assistance of the PSD of the detaching command or at one of the Italian Consulate Offices in the United States (call before you go). For a listing of the Italian Consulate Offices, go to http://www.state.gov/www/travel/consular_offices/i_sec.html. Visas cannot be obtained once personnel arrive in Italy.

Information Worth Repeating:

Remember that family members of the U.S. military or civilian component and dependents of U.S. contract workers traveling to Italy and remaining for more than 90 days must have a visa before arriving in Italy.
**** For further questions please call the legal office at +39-095-86-2953. They are located on NAS 2 next to the Galley

Housing and Lodging

The Sigonella Housing Service Center (HSC) assists all incoming military and DOD civilian personnel. Based on eligibility, accompanied and unaccompanied personnel are provided assistance in assignments to Military Family Housing (MFH); Unaccompanied Housing, or Economy Housing in the local community.

This section will answer many questions and help you get started.

It is important that you communicate at your earliest convenience with your sponsor and with the Housing office regarding housing eligibility and availability.

The Housing Department provides the following housing services to assist with your housing needs:

1. Military Family Housing provides information on availability, assignment, termination and maintenance of government housing.

2. Unaccompanied Housing provides information on availability, assignment, termination and maintenance of government quarters.

3. Economy Housing provides assistance on locating a home in the local community, lease signing and check-in/out inspections.

It is imperative that members do not secure any type of housing without obtaining approval or guidance from the Housing Department. All Personnel who will be required to lease a property from the local community must have a valid tourist or No Fee passport on hand upon arrival at NAS Sigonella.

o   Utilities provide information and assistance with utilities services (electricity, gas, phone, water) and internet services.

o   Customer Liaison provides assistance in resolving landlord/tenant issues and maintenance related trouble calls.

4. Furnishings: Temporary Loaner Furniture is available up to a maximum of 90 days or when your household goods arrive. Supplemental Full Tour furnishings are available for the duration of your tour.

5. Allowances and TLA information.

6. Navy Gateway Inns & Suites (NGIS) provides transient lodging for incoming personnel and travelers.


Housing Service Center

Open Monday through Friday 0730-1600
Closed on weekends and holidays
Commercial: +39-095-56-4311/3845 DSN: (314) 624-4311/3845
Located on NAS 1


Housing Early Assistance Tool. Navy Housing has developed HEAT to assist service members (SVMs) and their families in applying for housing Navy-wide.  HEAT allows SVMs and their families to get the housing application process started at one or more Navy installations online before or after they receive their Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.  HEAT is available to any SVM at all Navy installations.  


Start your HEAT application


HOMES.mil is a new official Department of Defense (DoD) website, dedicated to helping Service members, Families, and DOD civilians find housing.

Personal Property and Household Goods

Upon receipt of PCS orders to Sigonella, it is recommended that you contact the nearest Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO) as soon as practical to arrange for shipment of your personal property. Depending upon the CONUS origin, it generally takes 60-75 days for household goods to arrive in Sigonella. The transit time is significantly longer for shipments originating from other OCONUS areas.Please review the Personal Property Consignment Guide (PPCIG) for Italy at the following website. If you are unable to access the website, please ask your servicing PPSO to print it for you.https://tops.ppcigweb.sddc.army.mil/ppcig/menu/query/country.do.

Sigonella is not a weight-restricted area and members may ship their full weight allowance.  Unaccompanied service members E4 and below are required to live in Bachelor Quarters Housing and should only ship essential personal items that can be accommodated in the quarters. Service members accompanied by family members will be assigned to mandatory government housing, three and four bedroom townhouse style units, and should be mindful of this when deciding what to ship.

Unaccompanied baggage (UB) is packed and shipped separately from your household goods, and consists of items you will need immediately on arrival for health and comfort, pending receipt of your household goods. Nonessential items and items available at the new duty station for temporary use should not be shipped as UB. Temporary loaner furniture is available through the Housing Office, and hospitality kits are available at The Fleet and Family Support Center while awaiting your personal household goods shipment.

Non-Temporary Storage (NTS) at origin is authorized at government expense for the duration of your OCONUS tour. You are strongly encouraged to exercise this entitlement for major appliances, large bulky items, and items which will be of little or no use during your stay in Sigonella. Once you are settled in your new home and realize that any or all items left in NTS can be used, you may request a release from storage and shipment to Sigonella. The time limit on this entitlement is 180 days from the date the property was placed into NTS.

All of us at the Sigonella Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO) would like to welcome you aboard. Benvenuti a bordo! We look forward to assisting you with your household goods shipment(s). Please e-mail us at ppsosig@nassig.sicily.navy.mil and provide your anticipated arrival date and personal contact information so that we can notify you when your shipment(s) arrive.

Shipping Items

The following is a discussion of some items you will need and some that you ought to leave at home.

Beds and Mattresses:

If you have them, bring them. Beds are normally available in the Navy Exchange; but if out of stock, they can be ordered. Beds are available from Italian stores, but are not the same size as American beds, and your American sheets won't fit them.


In a move to Italy, rugs often become a major expense. Italian floors are normally made of hard tile or marble, which can be slippery and cold.  If you don't already have rugs, you may want to buy a few inexpensive room-sized carpets (9x12, 9x15, etc.). You should buy neutral colors, because the tile is often of varied colors and patterns. Average quality rugs and padding in standard sizes are usually available in the Navy Exchange. A wide variety of rugs can also be found in Italian stores.

Carpenter's Tools and Do-It-Yourself Equipment:

If you have them, bring them. A limited selection is available through the Navy Exchange. It can be easier to make items such as wardrobes, bookshelves, cabinets, and boxes than to buy them.

Old Desks and Dressers:

Anything that could be used to store things will come in handy. Most Italian homes will have plenty of room for small tables, desks, wardrobes, dressers, and boxes.


Sicily can be very humid during the winter. A dehumidifier will help heat your home, and reduce mildew problems. If you have one, bring it.

Small Electrical Appliances:

Generally speaking, small electrical appliances adapt well to use with transformers. New 220-volt appliances are available in the Navy Exchange or on the local economy.

Electrical Clocks:

These are not practical because they will not keep accurate time due to the 50 cycle current (the hands travel only 50 minutes every hour.) Brief power outages are also common in Sicily. Wind-up or battery-powered clocks are your safest bet.


Italian television is broadcasted in a different format than U.S. television. With a minor adjustment of the receiver, you may be able to pick up the Italian sound, but the picture will appear in black and white. If you own a cable-ready or multi-system (NTSC-PAL, etc.) television, you will be able to receive both Italian broadcasts and the American television broadcast by American Forces Network (AFN). However, if you convert your regular American TV to receive the Italian signal, you will lose the capability to receive AFN's broadcast. A multi-system TV can receive both the Italian and American signals. More than 20 Italian channels are available in the Sigonella area. Satellite TV is also an option. For about $400, a small dish can be installed which will receive several English-language channels. The Navy Exchange sells converters, antennas, amplifiers, and multi-system TVs. The Radio/TV Appliance Repair Shop can make adjustments, if necessary. If you plan to use your TV only with a video player, conversion is not required.


A portable radio is invaluable, especially in hotels. Electric models work well, but a back-up portable is useful in case of electrical outages. Radios with AM-FM bands are best. The clock in a clock radio will not work because of the 50-cycle current.

Other Audio/Video Equipment:

A full range of brand-name stereo and video equipment sold by the Navy Exchange Sight and Sound shop. Before bringing your present stereo and video equipment to Italy, check with the manufacturer for required parts to convert turntables, cassette/tape decks and timers to 50 HZ. Purely electronic items are not affected by the cycle difference. With proper parts, the Navy Exchange Radio/TV Appliance Repair Shop can easily adjust equipment for a minimal charge. You will find a good selection of videotapes, cassettes and CDs at Sight and Sound, and videotapes can be rented both on base and off.

Lawn Mowers:

It was once unheard of for Americans to bring lawn mowers to Italy because everybody lived in apartments. Most residents will not need one today. However, with the exodus to the suburbs, many more families now live in villas with lawns. New lawn mowers are sometimes available at the Navy Exchange Home Center. Some common replacement parts are also available. If you ship your mower, you also need to ship extra blades, plugs, and tune-up kits.

Lawn Furniture:

Apartment balconies are a good place to use outdoor furniture. The Navy Exchange carries an assortment, as do Italian stores and markets. Italy is famous for exporting a wide variety of high-quality lawn items.


It is considered unsafe for young children to ride bikes in the streets off base. However, some suburban areas do offer relatively quiet streets for safe bicycling. Helmets are mandatory!


Stateside mail order catalogs will prove helpful in outfitting your house and family while in Italy. Most large companies produce a special APO/FPO edition that makes ordering easier. But note that some catalog outlets do not ship to FPO/APO addresses. You may want to collect the catalogs that do ship to this area before you leave for Italy.

Firearms and Restricted Items:

At the present time there is a ban on the importation of firearms into Italy. The possession of any types of firearms in Italy is strictly controlled and requires the owner to obtain an Italian permit. Even if the ban is lifted, it is recommended that firearms not be included in your shipment as this may cause a delay in the property clearing Italian customs. The definition of firearms includes any weapon that is designed for or can be readily converted to be used for attack, defense, sports, games or hunting by driving a projectile through the barrel. This includes air pistols, air rifles, and firing replicas of antique firearms. Care should be taken not to include other restricted or prohibited items with your shipment. A representative from the PPO will advise you on this. When you arrive in Sicily, visit the PPO as soon as possible. Take with you all copies of documentation covering your shipments, including your automobile, in order to allow them to start tracing if necessary. The Personal Property staff will provide specific information concerning delivery of your goods and claims.

Property Insurance:

Italian landlords do not carry insurance against fire, theft, or water damage to the building, apartment or household furnishings of the tenant. Unless you as a tenant take out renters insurance, you could suffer loss or damage which would be difficult to recover, even after long and costly litigation in the Italian courts. Reported cases of housebreaking and theft of personal property (including motor vehicles) are not uncommon. Americans as well as Italians learn to be "security conscious" and realistically evaluate the precautions taken to safeguard their property. Consideration should be given to storing items of great sentimental value or items of very high dollar value that are unnecessary to have during overseas tours. You may also wish to take out private insurance or update your current policy. Keep in mind, there are no safety deposit boxes available on the military installations. Under certain circumstances, when a theft of your property has occurred, you may file a claim with the United States government for reimbursement. However, there are limitations on the amount that can be paid. Information concerning claims is available from the Naval Legal Services Office.

Adequate Proof Of Ownership:

Make sure you have proof of ownership for all household goods shipped, and proof of value for all shipped items worth $75 or more. If items are lost or damaged in shipment, or stolen from your home while stationed in Sigonella, you will need this information to submit a reimbursement claim. Proof of ownership includes a detailed entry on the shipment inventory, receipts, and photographs. Proof of value includes receipts, recent appraisals, and catalog excerpts listing the same item (if the description of the item in your proof of ownership is sufficiently detailed).


For detailed information on Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Sigonella schools, please visit their official websites at the following locations. 

Sigonella Elementary School     https://www.dodea.edu/SigonellaES/index.cfm
Sigonella Middle/High School   https://www.dodea.edu/SigonellaMHS/index.cfm

Bringing Pets

You may now bring your pet to Italy with you on Air Mobility Command (AMC) flights on a space available basis. There is an excess baggage fee and only a limited number of pets may be shipped on each flight. AMC will not ship any pet over 100 pounds. Be sure to inform PSD that you will be traveling with a pet. There is a limit of two pets for each family, dogs and cats only, and you must provide the proper travel containers. Please check with your local AMC terminal to confirm the information for your travel arrangements. If you are flying commercially, it's important to contact the airline on which you'll be traveling to Italy, for specific requirements for pet travel. Some airlines, for instance, require that pet carriers have ventilation holes on all sides, so you may need to drill holes through the back of the carrier. Also, some airlines allow only one pet per carrier. It is strongly recommended to call ahead to avoid unexpected surprises.

Transportation to Sicily

Dogs and cats must have a valid international Veterinary Health Certificate (completed by a USDA accredited veterinarian), a valid rabies vaccine administered at least 21 days before entering Italy, and a tattoo or ISO compatible microchip.  The cage or carrier must be labeled with owner’s name and inbound Italian address and contact number.  Animals must be at least three months old to enter Italy.  Contact your airline for their additional requirements and regulations. More information from USDA here: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/


There is no quarantine for importation of dogs and cats to Italy.

Veterinary Services

The Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF) is located on NAS I. The local DSN is 314-624-4258, and commercial number is +39-095-56-4258. Pets must be registered within five days of arrival. Pets do not need to be present for registration, but please bring their medical records.  The VTF offers basic services including vaccinations, minor sick calls, and preventive surgeries. Further information for the VTF can be found at http://www.chppmeur.healthcare.hqusareur.army.mil/sites/vet/phcd-se/sigonella.aspx.

Leaving Sicily

Dogs and cats need a Pet Export/Health Certificate completed and signed by a licensed veterinarian.  For those flying on commercial airlines, these certificates must be obtained at an Azienda Sanitaria Locale (ASL - Italian government veterinary clinic).  For those who will fly on a military flight, the certificate can be obtained through either the Sigonella VTF or the ASL clinic.  Pets must have up-to-date rabies shot that is at least 30 days old.

Helpful Links

General Dept of Defense Animal Import/Export Requirements: http://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/animed/vtfo/Pages/AnimalImport.aspx

Italy: http://italy.usembassy.gov/pet.html

Japan: http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/index.html

Hawaii: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/

Korea: http://www.korea.amedd.army.mil/veterinary/index.html

Many military veterinary clinics also have Facebook pages which can be great resources when planning an upcoming PCS.

Contact Us


Request a Sponsor:

To request a sponsor, send an email to the address below:

Don't forget to keep your family's information up-to-date in DEERS.